Alkaloid – operating results for January – June 2020
Alkaloid marked 10% growth in consolidated sales, with doubled investments of MKD 841 million and 111 new employments in the period January - June 2020
According to the unaudited standalone Income Statement, in the period January- June 2020, the sales reached the amount of MKD 4,740,145,403, 15% up compared to the same period last year. Total consolidated sales reached MKD 6,067,515,783, an increase of 10% compared to the same period last year.
Sales by regions and countries
Consolidated sales in the domestic market increased by 8%, while the total consolidated export of the company increased by 10%. Out of the total consolidated sales, 34% were realized in the domestic market, while the foreign markets account for 66%. The breakdown by region shows that the countries of South-East Europe account for 35% of the sales, 21% of the sales were realized in the countries from Western Europe (EU and EFTA), Russia and CIS 8%, while the other markets account for 2% of the total consolidated sales. Noticeable rise was seen in the countries of South-East Europe reaching sales of MKD 2 billion, increased by 14% compared to the same period last year. Sales in the USA increased by 16%, Russia and CIS region increased by 8%, and sales in Western Europe (EU and EFTA) increased 5%.
Sales by group of products
The breakdown of total consolidated sales by group of products shows that the best sellers are the products from the segment Pharmaceuticals with 86% of total consolidated sales, with OTC products accounting for 23%, antibiotics 15%, cardiovascular products 15%, neurological products 13%, etc. The Chemistry Cosmetics Botanicals segment accounts for 14% of the total consolidated sales, or more precisely Chemistry 3%, Cosmetics 8% and Botanicals 3%.
Standalone earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA), which amount to MKD 944,488,412 marked an increase of roughly 12%, whereas the net profit amounting to MKD 525,025,059 rose by 10%. Consolidated earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA), which reached MKD 978,792,142 saw an increase of 13%, whereas the net consolidated profit amounting to MKD 511,911,371 went up by 11%.
The total investments in non-current assets for the period January – June 2020 amounted to MKD 841,058,536, an increase of 99% compared to the same period in 2019. The implementation of the investment activities worth over 12 million euros that started in 2019 intended for expansion of the production facilities as well as for improving the energy efficiency and reduction of harmful emissions in the air is carried out as planned. The completion of these investments is scheduled for 2020.
In the period January – June 2020 Alkaloid recruited 111 new employees in the R.N. Macedonia. At the end of June 2020 there were 1,771 employees in Alkaloid in the country and 529 employees in its subsidiaries and representative offices abroad, totaling 2,300 employees. In June 2020 the management board of Alkaloid AD Skopje reached a decision on approval and payment of holiday allowances for its employees. The amount paid was MKD 29,687 gross or MKD 26,718 net.
The shares of Alkaloid AD Skopje have been listed since 2002 and stand as one of the most traded and most liquid shares on the Macedonian Stock Exchange. The share price of Alkaloid AD Skopje in January-June 2020 ranged from MKD 8,354.00 to MKD 13,400.00, with an average of MKD 11,949.58 per share which is 40% up compared to the average price in the same period in 2019. Market capitalization on 30.06.2020 was MKD 17 billion.
Business plan 2020
The business plan for 2020 adopted by the Managing Board of Alkaloid AD Skopje at its session held on December 27th 2019, anticipates investment of around 14% of the consolidated sales in tangible and intangible assets, a growth in consolidated sales of at least 7% compared to 2019, as well as a growth in pre-tax consolidated profit of at least 7% in comparison with 2019.
Expectations for the upcoming period
In the past period, the company has faced a number of internal and external challenges and emerging risks, generated by the pandemic of COVID 19. We at Alkaloid have taken a number of measures so far to neutralize all the negative effects, without compromising the health of employees and the successful operation of the company. During the second quarter a certain balance of supply levels among our customers was achieved, as well as stabilization of growth of sales revenue. In the upcoming period employees’ health remains a top priority as well as maintaining current liquidity and financial stability. Considering the measures taken, we expect the results of the company's operations to move by the end of the year within the already set targets for 2020.